Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Day 9 -identity

PROMPT from Professor Marcy Murray

Write a poem about identity--- self-identity versus what others see; are they the same? What about how you see others?

Consider age --Grandma is an old lady, but she hasn't always been one.

Look at gender roles & stereotypes: "Sissy is a little tomboy, she must be a lesbian."

Consider race, physical/mental abnormalities and look at how identity depicted in faery tales, novels or even politics.

Examples:

Passing. Toi Derricotte.
Song of Myself. Walt Whitman.

----

Is it Real?

Yes. Yes. Yes. Mothasucka
It's real. Bam.
Is that real?
Bam. Bam.
Is that real?
If I tell you you're ugly-is that hurt real?
If I replace your Diet Coke with a coke-is the diet real?
If I drive down a one way street-is it still one way?
If I kiss you with tongue all in your mouth-are your words mine?
If I walk your dog -am I your dog walker?
If I marry your mama-am I your daddy?
If I drive your car -am I your chauffeur?
If I live with my heart on my sleeve-am I naked?
You don't know me.
You don't know me.
You know me not.
And that, you suckweed, is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment